An opinionated feline in Edmonton, Canada who lived with a retired cat behaviourist, Greyce provided behavioral advice to cats in need until her death in July 2014. Because her entries are useful even today, the blog remains posted.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cat Introductions: Older Cat to Younger Resident Cats - Flounder's Update


Dear Greyce,
I wanted to let you know how everything is working out since your blog entry of November 15th.
This week I am feeling quite good and have even asked to come out of my room! Herself used to have to bring me downstairs, and I would cling to her even if the other cats were locked up. Now she leaves the door open, goes downstairs, and ignores me. I have the option to come out, and I always do now. Herself sits on the couch reading while I explore. The other night I even ran around bipping the catnip toy and playing! I think M. may reappear this weekend, but I am feeling more confident in the space and that will help.


I think M. and I are going to be okay. She may be a bit playful for me once she settles in; but I will teach her to respect her elders. D. is another matter, for another day.
More as it happens, and best wishes,
Flounder

Dear Flounder,

You have been making excellent progress, now that you have educated the purrsons in your household about proper behaviour. It's amazing what a course in good manner will do.

It will be nice for you to have a young friend (M.); and purrhaps in time, even D. will form a positive relationship with you. Not to worry, even a relationship of mutual tolerance (and the mutual ignoring of each other) would be welcome.

Keep me posted. I'm sure readers will enjoy following your adventures - you brave cat!

Keep up the good work!

Greyce

No comments:

Post a Comment