My goodness, Kitty, a cat in your condition (receiving fluid therapy) probably uses the litter box a lot! Thank goodness you have a purrson who scoops it out so often. Now about that pooping. Let's play cat detective and try to find the reason behind this.
1) The box is too dirty (certainly not the case with yours).
- Flexibility issues usually show up in cats who use the box, but their stools fall outside it (like Smooshie's used to in my entry, Stand and Deliver -- October 29/09).
- Constipation MAY be an issue for you (because Lactulose is to help keep your stools soft). Your stool should be the shape of a small cigar (not small round balls), somewhat pliable though hold its shape when just evacuated (as opposed to being rock hard -- this will be impossible to tell if the stool has been out for some time), and dark brown in colour. If your stool looks like small balls or has a lot of hair in it, please consult with your veterinarian for assistance.
- Since you see your veterinarian often, I assume that your anal glands have been checked, just in case they are impacted and giving your problems. However, if that was the case, you would be likely to scoot your butt along the floor -- and dragging it along the carpet would have left some brown skid marks as evidence. So let's not go there.
MY SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU
Get a litter (or litter additive) that will attract you back to the box.
- If you are currently using an unscented clumping litter that does NOT have baking soda added to it, then have her buy Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter Additive (by Precious Cat -- no that's not my company!), available at many pet stores. This litter has a special herbal attractant that catches the attention of many cats and makes them want to use the box it is in. If she follows the directions on the package for mixing it with your current litter (in your new box), then it should work well.
- If your current litter is not the kind I mentioned above (unscented clumping with NO baking soda), then she has the choice of either a) getting a small bag of the proper clumping litter to try out WITH the Litter Additive, OR b) buying Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter -- yes it's a litter with the additive already included. It's more expensive than using the mix but might be worth it.
Once the Cat Attract has been added to your NEW box, make sure your purrson puts it in the area where you tend to poop -- away from the boxes you urinate in.
Kitty I wish you the very best.