An opinionated feline in Edmonton, Canada who lived with a retired cat behaviourist, Greyce provided behavioral advice to cats in need until her death in July 2014. Because her entries are useful even today, the blog remains posted.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Molly's Update (from Oil & Water)

Dear Readers, You may remember Molly (the painfully shy and very sensitive feline) and her new, more resilient companion, Ivy, about whom I wrote in my entry Oil & Water (11/10/09).

Molly wrote to share her good news.

I've been in my sanctuary (my purrson's bedroom) for about a month now, surrounded by lovely music with the Feliway diffuser working its magic. Feliway is even helping Ivy settle down a little.

Ivy got into the room a few times when I was in bed with my purrson; she ate at my feeding area; and I didn't even react! When the door has been left ajar, I ventured into the sewing room across the hall a few times. My purrson takes me to the dining room where I sit on my favourite chair and she made me a partial tent to help me stay calm; and I stayed there for a few hours. I still gave a little hiss when Ivy went under the chair, even though I don't think Ivy even saw me.

My purrson put up a small tree that I used to sleep under last year. It has a garland right to the bottom and when I climbed under it, I am almost comletely hidden. At first I just never took my eyes off Ivy who was across the room sleeping. Now I can fall asleep under the tree - though when Ivy passes by I still hiss.

So I AM making progress. Thanks again for your help.

Dear Molly, You are doing such fine work. Just remember, slow and steady wins the race. And you ARE doing so very well. Congratulations and best wishes for the new year!