An opinionated feline in Edmonton, Canada who lived with a retired cat behaviourist, Greyce provided behavioral advice to cats in need until her death in July 2014. Because her entries are useful even today, the blog remains posted.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Now I Wear A Dress: A New Elizabethan Cat Collar

Dear Friends,

As luck would have it, I had to have a lumpectomy to remove a suspicious-looking growth above my left flank. Now I have a shaved patch and a long incision closed up by staples. I do hope to regain my fur before the summer is over.

Now I Wear A Dress
Until I have my staples removed (in about 10 days) I have to wear a dress. It is a soft, fabric version of an Elizabethan collar.

Some of you might remember those horrid, hard plastic things that limited out vision so we bumped into furniture and make are whiskers unusable. They were miserable! My friend, Ben, calls them cones of shame.

Now, thank goodness, most times we can get away with this new kind. I call it a 'dress'. I have freer movement but cannot get at my incision. Themselves have to groom me because I cannot look after my furs.

I have mastered a new kind of walking by hopping up on each stair and then walking along its complete width before taking the next step. It takes time but it works.

Alas I am not allowed out to explore the front or back yard for fear I will get dirt in my wound. But I am camping out by the screen door in hopes that my sheer will can cause it to open.

I will keep you posted,
Greyce